DAY ABSEIL ADVENTURE
Friday – Saturday | 4pm
Can’t find a time that suits you?
Book a private tour at a time and day that works best for you
Looking for a thrill? Try Abseiling Brisbane’s Kangaroo Point Cliffs. Start at the top of the cliffs before you step off the edge, 20 metres from the parkland below. As soon as you reach the top, stand back and enjoy the uninterrupted view of Brisbane. Watch city cats, ferries and kayaks meander the iconic Brisbane River while you wait in anticipation for your name to be called. When it is your turn, step up to the edge, take a breath and begin your abseil.
Let our experienced abseiling instructor’s help you conquer your fears and guide you safely over the edge while you experience the extreme rush that comes when you abseil Brisbane Kangaroo Point Cliffs. With trust overcoming natural instinct, you will be abseiling down the 20 metre high cliffs in no time.
Riverlife abseiling sessions are guided by qualified and experienced instructors. No experience is necessary as each session includes full instruction, a safety briefing and equipment. Participants must be at least 8 years of age.
*The minimum age for abseiling is 8 years old.
- 90-minute guided abseil session
- all equipment including gloves, harness and helmet
- Complimentary sunscreen
- Showers and change rooms for your convenience
WHAT TO BRING
- Comfortable clothes (pants necessary) you can move in e.g. activewear
- Enclosed shoes
- Water bottle
- Sense of adventure
What is the minimum age?
The minimum age for abseiling is 8 years old. Children 12 years of age and under must be accompanied by an adult.
Are there any weight or height restrictions?
There are no height restrictions for this activity. Maximum weight for this activity is 120kg.
What do I wear?
Wear comfortable pants that move easily, e.g. activewear, and enclosed shoes. Showers and change rooms are available onsite for your convenience.
How long does the tour run for?
Our guided abseiling experiences run for 1.5 hours.
Do I need any experience?
No! Our highly-qualified abseiling instructors will guide you through your entire experience making sure you are confident on the cliffs.
I am afraid of heights, should I do this experience?
Yes! Our amazing instructors will hold your hand through the entire experience ensuring you are safe and confident before you take the plunge! Our equipment is state of the art and regularly maintained for your safety.
Where do I meet for the tour?
You will be abseiling from on top of the Kangaroo Point Cliffs but we ask that you please come the Riverlife Adventure Centre, Naval Stores, Kangaroo Point, to begin your adventure experience.
WHAT IS ABSEILING
Abseiling is a controlled descent over a vertical drop. There are two important parts in that definition: controlled and vertical drop. It is also known as rappelling from the French word rappeller. This translates to ‘to recall’ or ‘to pull through’.
Let’s start with the vertical drop. This can be anything from a cliff-face to a building, or even a bridge over at Story Bridge Adventure Climb! This makes Abseiling one of the most versatile adventure activities available.
The most important part of Abseiling is control. At Kangaroo Point, our abseil activity is approximately a 20m descent. At this kind of height, it is essential that the descent is safe and controlled. This control will be managed by both you as the participant and one of our fully-qualified guides. Our guide will do all the heavy lifting, all you as the participant needs to do is feed the rope through your hand and slowly walk down. Don’t worry, all this is explained and demonstrated before your abseil.
About Brisbane and the Kangaroo Point Cliffs
When on a Brisbane abseil at Riverlife there are some incredible views of Brisbane. The high vantage point of the Kangaroo Point Cliffs showcases Brisbane better than anywhere else. But there is more to this spot than stunning sunsets! Check out these fast facts about Brisbane and the Kangaroo Point Cliffs:
- The Kangaroo Point Cliffs is a natural cliff face. European settler, John Oxley, described Kangaroo Point as a “high, rocky bank” surrounded by “jungle” in 1823.
- The cliffs have changed a lot since then! From 1829 – 1976, the cliffs were quarried. Brisbane Tuff is the unique, volcanic extract from the cliffs. The heritage-listed Commissariat Store and The Old Windmill, both located in the CBD, were constructed using Brisbane Tuff.
- Brisbane was the busiest submarine port in the world during World War II. Dozens of ships on their way to Pearl Harbor were diverted to Brisbane for safety. Hundreds of wharves for docked ships filled the Brisbane River by December 1943, complete with building and repair facilities.
- Brisbane is also the birthplace of the classic Australian treat, the Lamington! French chef Armand Galland accompanied Lord & Lady Lamington to Brisbane in 1900 to cook for them. The Lamington’s were always hosting uninvited guests and Chef Armand was at his wit’s end! In a pinch, he took a slab of day-old french sponge cake, iced it with chocolate and coconut, and voila! The Lamington was born.
Book an adventure »
Kayaking, Abseil, Rock Climbing and more
Hire Activities »
Kayaks, Urb-E's, bicycles and more
School Groups »
Excursions & day trip packages to cater to your Schools needs.