Private Rock climb adventure
Minimum 6 people
Minimum age 8 years
Private Rock Climb Adventure
Challenge yourself on the Kangaroo Point Cliffs on a Day Rock Climb Adventure! Spend Sunday morning climbing and belaying along the Brisbane River. Whether you are a first-time climber looking to try something new or an expert looking to beat their personal best, this adventure is for you!
This guided rock climbing adventure runs for 2 hours and will see you tackle the cliffs during your climbing time and assist in belaying your fellow adventurers. Our qualified instructors will take your through a safety briefing and fit you with all safety equipment to ensure and are safe and confident on the cliffs.
Riverlife’s rock climbing adventures are guided by qualified and experienced instructors. No experience is necessary as each session includes full instruction, a safety briefing and all equipment including. Participants must be at least 8 years of age for the Day Rock Climb Adventure, children between 8 – 12 must be accompanied by an adult. Bookings essential.
Do i need rockclimbing experience?
Not quite an expert rock climber? Are you scared of heights but looking to conquer your fears? Our professional, highly-qualified staff will be with you every step of the way to teach you what to do and to ensure you are safe and comfortable throughout your climb. Not to mention there are various routes suitable to all climber skills from beginner to advanced. Whether you’re an expert rock climber or a first-timer, the Kangaroo Point cliffs can deliver an incredible Brisbane rock climbing experience!
What is included in my rockclimbing experience?
- Guided session with a highly qualified and experienced instructor
- Safety briefing and rock climbing lesson
- All necessary safety and rock climbing equipment (all equipment is cleaned and sanitised after use)
- Thrill-seeking adventure on the Kangaroo Point cliffs
- Breathtaking Brisbane city and river views
*The minimum age for rock climbing is 8 years old.
*Participants must wear and use the safety equipment provided by Riverlife.
Indoor vs Outdoor rockclimbing
Is there a difference between indoor and outdoor rock climbing? Yes. Climbing indoors can help you prepare for outdoor activities but it shouldn’t be seen as a linear progression. Really, they are different sports. It’s like comparing Rugby League to Rugby Union.
Indoor climbing is a controlled environment. The routes will still be tricky, but they are outlined and colour coordinated. There is a set way to go up and down. Moulds when climbing indoors are also designed to be grabbed. Again, some may be shaped more difficult than others, but the entire purpose of them being there is to be used when climbing.
On the other hand, outdoor climbing is all about exploration. There are set routes to climb but the interpretation is all in the hands (literally) of the climber. Scanning to find the perfect ledge to grab or plant your foot on is all part of the challenge. Rocks and cliff faces that were never meant to be grabbed may be your key to climbing higher. Communicating with your belayer is key for your comfort, safety, and help with reaching your next destination.
All of this can make outdoor climbing intimidating. But fear not! With the help of our experienced guides, you too can conquer the cliffs like a pro. Riverlife’s instructors will help with climbing technique and route navigation. They’re there to help you! We love being able to kick-start a passion for climbing, or help a keen climber experience Brisbane’s best natural cliff face
About Brisbane and the Kangaroo Point Cliffs
- When climbing with Riverlife there are some incredible views of Brisbane. Scale your way to the top of the cliff for an amazing view of Brisbane CBD, the Brisbane River and South Bank! But there is more to this spot than beautiful outlooks! Check out these fast facts about Brisbane and the Kangaroo Point Cliffs:
- John Oxley, one of Brisbane’s first European settlers, described the Kangaroo Point Cliffs as a “high, rocky bank” surrounded by “jungle” in 1823.
- The Kangaroo Point Cliffs are still considered a natural cliff face, but they have changed since 1823! The cliffs were quarried between 1829 and 1976. The Commissariat Store and The Old Windmill are two heritage-listed buildings that were constructed from Kangaroo Point Cliff extract, known as Brisbane Tuff.
- Kangaroo Point was where the plans for Expo ‘88 began! Architect James Maccormick was tasked with conducting an urban renewal project for Kangaroo Point. Hosting World Expo 88 seemed like the perfect catalyst for redevelopment!
What is the minimum age?
The minimum age for rock climbing is 8 years old. Children 12 years of age and under must be accompanied by an adult.
Are there any weight or height restrictions?
There are no height restrictions for this activity. Maximum weight for this activity is 120kg.
What do I wear?
Wear comfortable pants that move easily, e.g. activewear, and enclosed shoes. Showers and change rooms are available onsite for your convenience.
How long does the tour run for?
Our guided rock climbing adventures run for 2 hours.
Do I need any experience?
No! Our highly-qualified rock climbing instructors will guide you through your entire experience making sure you are confident on the cliffs.
I am afraid of heights, should I do this experience?
Yes! Our amazing instructors will hold your hand through the entire experience ensuring you are safe and feeling confident! Our equipment is state of the art and regularly maintained for your safety.
Where do I meet for the tour?
You will be rock climbing from on top of the Kangaroo Point Cliffs but we ask that you please come to the Riverlife Adventure Centre, Naval Stores, Kangaroo Point, to begin your adventure experience.
Can I book at a time that’s not advertised?
Yes! We accept private group bookings (6 pax minimum) at any time of your choosing during opening hours. Book this here.
- 2-hour guided rock climbing adventure with a qualified instructor
- Safety briefing pre-experience
- All adventure and safety equipment including helmet, harness and gloves
- Lockers available for hire for personal belongings
- Showers and change rooms
- Complimentary sunscreen available all-day
What to bring
- Comfortable clothing (pants only), activewear recommended
- Enclosed Shoes
- Water bottle
Twilight Kayak + Grazing
Day Kayak Adventure